General feedback from initial use of template

• Home
  • Topics
  • General feedback from initial use of template
  • Support OnlineSat-Thu / 9:30am - 5:30pm (GMT +6)
  • Your Time Our Time

Support Home Support Home Bluishost WordPress Theme General feedback from initial use of template

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Harris
    Participant

I like that the template is quite simple, too many templates these days massively overcrowd themselves by trying to do every site design under the sun.

Here are the things I have noted while trying to build a basic website using this theme:

——
    bluishost-core.php – all inc files and vc elememnts need wrapping in a custom “find template” function so that they can be overridden in a theme

^^ I really needed to override the slider.php because the designer want the image above instead of next to the image

need a simple way to build the buttons in the style of the site, doesn’t look like the built in vc one is set up for this

need an explanation about how the diagonal sections work and how I can use them – ahh I realised that each row has a wrapper “bluishost section” element, would have been handy to be in the docs

give me a setting for the main p tag text size

logo controls are good but if you make the logo taller the menu doesnt vertically align any more

making the logo taller also makes the page header unbalanced, theres less gap at the top than the bottom as its expecting the original topnav height

templates\page-header.php – dont force the title “blog”; put it in a setting or pull it from the nominated page’s name – client is calling it news so I have to override this now for a simple amendment
    ——

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your feedback.

We have listed this in our theme update list. If possible we will try to add your requested features in our future update of the Theme.

Best Regards,
    ThemeLooks SUpport Team

Matthew Harris
    Participant

I have finished building the site now, here is the rest of the bugs / limitations that I experienced during the development of the site:

docs missing / bug – shortcode in footer [wpgdprc] not recognised – you have to go in to the gdpr plugin and manually turn it on for CF7 forms

.bg-light should be a setting (or an auto shade of the primary), the light blue clashed with the theme when i changed the primary colour to green

section heading element – let me pick the heading tag element (I wanted the first one on the page to be a h1 tag).

Tried to use the “custom heading” element as an alternative but its not theme aware (no mini line under the heading and not got spacings).

section element, with rotate background on, I would have liked more control over the spacing. On your demo you overlay the header over the diagonal line but my designer wanted it to work more like separator lines between two sections so I had to put the padding back in.

Note: section element is missing a css class attribute setting

Row property Stretch Row doesn’t seem to work correctly. The settings Default and Stretch Row still stretch the content, even though there are other separate settings for this – Stretch Row and Content / Stretch Row and Content (No Margins). So there is no way to put content inside a grid unless you use your Bluishost Section element which has restricted options.

the custom color rule that looks like this:

.bg-dark:before, .bg-primary:before, .title-bg-dark, .main-footer, .main-footer:before, .goDown, .sticking .header-menu > ul > li > a:after, .sticking .header-menu > ul > li.active > a:after, .sticking .header-menu > ul > li:hover > a:after, .sticking .btn-transparent:hover, .section-title h2:before, .single-pricing-plan p:before, .single-pricing-plan .popular, .swiper-pagination-bullet-active, .why-us-video:before, .preLoader, .single-home-feature h3:before, .bg-secondary:before, .sticky-tape:before, .sticky-tape:after, .domain-price li > span:before, .domain-table .thead-dark th, .search-form button:focus, .search-form button:active, .search-form button:hover, .widget-title:before, .tag-list li a:hover, .btn-primary:hover, .not-found-title, .back-to-top:hover, .woocommerce span.onsale, .search-form button:focus, .search-form button:active, .search-form button:hover, .woocommerce-product-search button:hover, .woocommerce-product-search button:focus, .woocommerce-product-search button:active, .widget-title:before, .widget.woocommerce h2:before {
        background-color: <CUSTOM MAIN COLOR>;
    }

is missing the rule to style the underline of the active menu when its docked at the top with the page unscrolled. My bg is white and the default underline is white so I cannot see the underline until I scroll.

fix the logo / navbar alignment by adding <div class="row align-items-center"> in header-menu.php

logo is distorted by a combination of settings. Set the height of the logo and then it squashes it down by 8 px with the other rule:

/* style.css*/
    .main-header .logo img {
        display: inline-block;
        padding-top: 8px;
    }
    /* injected dynamic into page */
    .logo img {
        height: 61px;
        width: 239px;
    }

originally the height is auto and it plays nice then but if you set a height it distorts it with that padding-top.

page-header.php should be
    esc_html__( 'Search Results', 'bluishost' )
    not
    esc_html__( 'Search Result', 'bluishost' )

dynamic html and all of your css rules that target:

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6

should be

.h1, .h2, .h3, .h4, .h5, .h6, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6

to support the bootstrap feature of letting you style another tag like a header

bluishost-breadcrumbs.php – search results translation is missing space, should be:
    esc_html__('Search results for: ','bluishost')
    not
    esc_html__('Search results for:','bluishost')
    — also cant fix this one without editing core files because its not included in an override friendly way

hooks-functions.php – bluishost_blog_posts_meta_cb
    please wrap the date in a div/span with a class, same for author.

I just wanted to hide the author but now i have had to take over management of this part of the code

Also the same problem is in the latest news element which is baked into the core plugin

font colour is redefined multiple times, making it harder to change the colour sitewide:

body,
    .single-review p,
    .post-detail-content p,
    .comment-content p 

bug – search results – search results with multiple pages is set to use next/prev pagination links which is badly designed. It shows “Older Post” / “Newer Post” which isn’t appropriate for search results – the search results aren’t date ordered. Shouldn’t mention posts. Should be numbered pages.

typo – pagination.php – These lines should be Older Posts / Newer Posts:

$older 	= esc_html__( 'Older Post', 'bluishost' ).' <i class="fas fa-arrow-right"></i>';
    $newer 	= '<i class="fas fa-arrow-left"></i> '.esc_html__( 'Newer Post', 'bluishost' );

typo – two snippets use the phrase “Reading Continue” – it should be “Continue reading” or “Read more”

404 page – the monster is half hidden behind the menu even with the theme defaults

404 page – typo – “or might be never exist.” should be “or might never have existed.”

Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    ThemeLooks SUpport Team

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
happy hour